Within 24 hours after the birth of her son, Barbara and her husband were told their baby has severe hemophilia, a life-threatening blood disorder.
In this candid interview, Barbara shares about her marriage, raising a child with a life-threatening disease, her struggles with depression, interacting with others, and how she helps other families through her ministry, Snappin’ Ministries.
Barbara’s humor is contagious, her commitment to Christ is clearly devout, her care for others is full of grace, and her humility is profound.
Watch the Interview:
Ephesians 4:1–3 speaks of the life Barbara lives:
[I] beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace. (NLT)
In this interview, Barbara and Colleen talk about the challenges related to raising a child with extensive needs.
- You had a very successful career before becoming a stay-at-home mom. How did you come to the decision to be at home?
- Did you expect any complications before you had your son?
- You were told there was something wrong right after his birth and had to wait for test results. What was the waiting period like?
- Your son was diagnosed with severe hemophilia. What is hemophilia, and how did you and your husband respond?
- How has your son’s condition changed you?
- Your marriage has remained very strong. What advice can you offer couples who may be struggling?
- How have you learned to respond to those who say or do hurtful things in regard to your son’s condition?
- When did you begin your ministry, and how did it come together? Was your church supportive?
- How did you narrow down your ministry’s purpose and begin to reach other families?
- Have you had days when you felt like giving up?
- What are some Scripture passages you have relied upon?
Let Me Hear from You
The apostle Paul encourages us to not just walk but RUN the road God has called us to. However, when that road is marked with difficulties, disabilities, depression, or life despair, it’s almost impossible to crawl or even move. Paralyzed by overwhelming demands and financial burdens, families are often crushed under the weight of responsibilities.
Maybe you have or are struggling with some similar challenges and don’t know where to turn. Our comments section is safe and available for you to share what’s on your heart.
Here are some questions to consider if you are wondering where to begin:
- How isolated are you?
- Are you struggling with depression and don’t know where to turn?
- How is your marriage?
- Have you accepted what God has allowed, or is there still a battle and your faith is in question?
- What help do you need?
I promise, you will be given grace and truth—freedom to say what’s on your heart. Your hope will be renewed. So let’s begin talking today.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Connect with Barbara Dittrich
A nonprofit Christian ministry located in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, Snappin’ Ministries purposes to support special needs families through a parent-mentoring program, a compassion program and network, special events, and a network of resource referrals. The ministry seeks to connect with other parents who are facing the trials of raising a child with special needs but who long for help from faith-based organizations.
Insight for Living Ministries Resources
- Applying Grace in Marriage by Charles R. Swindoll, booklet
- Guilt, Grace, and Gratitude by Charles R. Swindoll, CD set of 2 CDs
- Trusting the God of Impossibilities by Charles R. Swindoll, CD set of 2 CDs
- Counseling Insights: The Family by Insight for Living Ministries, downloadable document with 12 chapters
- Living the Psalms: Encouragement for the Daily Grind by Charles R. Swindoll, unabridged audio book of 8 CDs