Anyone who has experienced it knows: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder provides huge challenges. Jolene Philo understands.
Jolene is the daughter of a parent with special needs as well as a parent to a son with special needs.
In this interview, Jolene offers a wealth of wisdom as she talks about the many special needs in her family as well as the diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
She models an example of a person who has learned to trust Christ as Lord over all things. She encourages us to do the same.
Watch the Interview
- What drew you in to the world of disabilities?
- Your son was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. What is PTSD is and how does it affect an individual?
- Because PTSD is not a visible disability, how did others respond to you?
- The symptoms of PTSD are similar to other disabling conditions such as OCD or ADHD. How did you discover the specific diagnosis to be PTSD?
- What was it like for you and your son to finally know the cause of his challenges?
- You spent years waiting for a diagnosis. How did you endure?
- What are the signs and symptoms of PTSD?
- What do you say to parents who are in the midst of searching for help?
- How common is PTSD?
- How do churches typically respond to this diagnosis, and how could they respond better?
- How can a church come alongside as a companion to help a family in need?
Let Me Hear from You
Life can diminish our hope, drive us to despair, and disconnect us from others. None of us can make it on our own; we all need support and encouragement.
Jolene shared much about life with special needs and about her son’s challenges with physical and mental health challenges. Perhaps you or someone in your family has similar difficulties and this message stirred some thoughts in you. I want you to know, you are not alone.
Question: How do you identify with Jolene’s circumstances, and what struggles have you encountered?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Connect with Jolene
Jolene Philo is a teacher, blogger, and the published author of two books for special needs families:
- A Different Dream for My Child: Meditations for Parents of Critically or Chronically Ill Children
- Different Dream Parenting: A Practical Guide to Raising a Child with Special Needs.
Recommended Resources from Insight for Living Ministries
Our Special Needs Topical page offers many supportive resources as well as biblical truth that applies to facing life’s challenges.